Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Paper 3 Topic

Jordan Pickett

One of the topics that I feel important for me to discuss about is the fact that everything is not what it seems. I know it seems easy to say and think that, but I feel with the discussions that we had for our book of Alone Together, it seems like it is beginning to become easier to surpass the fact of whether we first; ultimately need the object and then second; whether we will like the full outcome of having the item in the house. One example that I am using in my paper is about the robotic children that were beginning to have homes in human households, and also becoming more than just robotic figures but also much deeper than that. More like an family member to everyone. This also involved the fact of having robotic babysitters. What if a malfunction happens to where these things become dangerous? What happened to just having the compassion to be able to watch our own loved ones? Or even just like being around anyone in our family enough to not want anything else in the world! Are we losing our feelings and emotions for these certain objects because of the so called "abilities" that they have?

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/EasyBakeOven.jpg

^^^ This link above is a picture of a toy that everyone is surely familiar with, called easy bake oven. Everyone that has a kid, knows that they would love to be able to make food that is editable on their own. Studies have shown that this is not the greatest thing to even allow your kid be alone with while using at all. There have been explosions using this item, burning of skin from children trying to cook something without having the knowledge to do so, and more. This is what I mean by having the advertising affect on people by seemingly allowing it to look great for everyone, but also leaving some concerns of not only safety but how we think our kids could actually make these items that require an actual mini oven that has the same type of heat requirements to make something to eat.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you tied in the robots malfunctioning with the malfunctioning of something I used as a kid. I never thought it could be dangerous since it was made for kids! I'm sure there will also be more people who haven't hurt of the dangerous parts of this product, so I think this will be a great paper topic.

    ReplyDelete