Tuesday, April 28, 2015

     After watching the movie Catfish, there were three main questions that I left with. What are the sociological factors associated with people lying on social media? What are the psychological factors associated with people lying on social media? Which of the two (sociological or psychological) is more influential? The average person does not just hop onto the Internet and just decide to create fake people and go on with it for months. The complexity and sophistication in the web of profiles was astounding to where I don't think someone who is just bored could come up with that. I really feel like there had to be some sort of disorder involved and I am curious as to what that it.

    In regards to sociological factors, I think the front-running explanation would be the societal perfection that is placed on women especially. Angela herself said the the profile and life of Megan Faccio was built around what she wished her own life was like. Megan was a young dancer and singer, both things that Angela gave up in her life. So was it the pressure by society as a whole to make women as perfect as possible lead Angela back to those earlier times and make Megan? I think it is definitely possible. Even in the small town of Ishpeming, Michigan with a population less than 10,000 she felt that pressure, which shows that it is everywhere.
     A lot of people have probably felt that pressure, but hardly any of them cave like Angela did and resort to compulsive behaviors like she did. I would guarantee that there is some sort of mental condition associated with compulsive lying. I have known a couple people in my life who are horribly compulsive liars and it shocks me the things that they say, just like Nev was shocked when Angela told him that she has cancer after the whole Facebook was unveiled. There has to be a serious condition that is associated with this, I just do not know what it is.
     If I had to pick which of the two is probably more influential based on the Catfish case, I would say the psychological factors. They are inside of her head, they don't go away. Sure the pressure from society is strong, but it is more easily ignorable. The whole movie, these were just a few things that I was wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment